Sunday, September 6, 2009

NKSD Levy

All,

The pool is in the best financial state it has ever been in, but there is another challenge at hand.

The NKSD has a levy coming up for renewal on the February 2010 ballot. This levy provides funding for approximately 20% of the districts budget.

The reality is, that if this levy fails the pool will close and the district will likley be forced to cancel all athletic programs and more.

The district and community is faced with a number of hot and controversial issues that have driven a wedge between many of us and the districts administration. I admittedly have many items on my list, but is failing the levy the way to express your frustrations?

I urge you all to find ways to get involved directly with district committees and volunteer opportunities. This is the best way to express your opinion and to help the districts administration to understand that the North Kitsap community wants to be heard and wants to be a part of the school districts future.

I have a big voice and I tend to speak on the hot issues, but I also get involved. I am a member of the Community Pool Advisory Committee, the Capital Finance Advisory Committee, I participated in the 2009-2010 public budget process, my wife and I aremember of the NKHS Athletic, the NKHS and PMS band boosters and my wife spends countless hours working with the schools my kids attend.

I simply do not believe that the correct way to express your frustrations is to vote no on the levy. It is not appropriate to punish our kids.

Please vote "YES" on the levy renewal and join the cause to assist in its passing.

Randy Borek

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Was there any effort to place the pool under parks & rec? I thought that was the long-term plan....

Also I am curious about other peoples opinion as to whether the new Kingston high school is directly responsible for the districts budget problems over the past year or two.

Would love to see some posts on both these topics.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your comment.

Creating a parks district is certainly an option for the pool. We have talked about it several times, but it must be voter approved and the feeling is that North Kitsap is very divided. Therefore, it would be difficult to pass.

This option will stay on our list as it is truly the appropriate long term solution.

I certainly believe that the new high school is a drain on the districts budget. It would have to be since the district has seen very little growth in student population and funding is all based on the number of kids you have enrolled in your district.